About The Department
The Co-operation Department was created with the objective of strengthening the co-operative movement in the State. Initially, the Co-operation Department remained part of one of the development Department. It functioned under the Co-operation and Forest Department and later under the Agriculture and Co-operation Department. In 1991, the Co-operation Department was carved out as a separate Department from the erstwhile Agriculture & Co-operation Department.
Some of the important functions discharged by the Co-operation Department are briefly indicated below:
- Endeavoring to provide timely and adequate bank credit to farmers.
- Supply of inputs such as fertilizers,pesticides and seeds
- Administering the Crop Insurance Scheme.
- Providing marketing support to farmers.
- Providing infrastructure for storage of agriculture produce
- Providing credit facilities for housing through house building co-operatives.
- Imparting co-operatives education and training to office bearers.